"If you're gonna disintegrate mentally, get it down on tape!" - Murdoc Niccals, Pirate Radio Jan 2010

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Anniversary of An American Tragedy

As the summer plugs along, no doubt many of you are taking your children out and about on summer adventures.  I know I've done the same.  I've taken my daughter up north to Comicon where she was able to meet author Raina Telgemeier while I met my favorite comic artist, Terry Moore.  We've even taken two day jaunts to the coast to take in the wonderful salty ocean air.  The thing is, taking our children on vacation is something we all take for granted.  There are families currently still mourning the loss of their children through unethical and illegal adoptions and are forever barred from enjoying such simple pleasures.

This summer also marks the 3 yr anniversary of when the United States Supreme Court ruled against Dusten Brown's case in the infamous Baby Veronica kidnapping (ahem....I mean "adoption").  Brown will never be able to take Ronnie on vacation to some place fun.  His family will never again have gatherings lit up by her smile.  She is still in the custody of her kidnappers, held hostage in the state of South Carolina.  And while the legalities of her adoption would never hold up if Brown and the Cherokee Nation had continued to challenge it, he decided to spare her the indignity of having her precious face plastered all over the media as her kidnappers have done and spare her the trauma of another drastic transition years down the road.  

The case of Baby Veronica had become the flesh and blood Tale of King Solomon.  Matt Capobianco and Melanie Duncan Capobianco didn't care what harm came to Veronica in their zeal to snatch her.  They both apparently acknowledged how hurt and troubled Veronica would be after being ripped away from her family, but felt she would simply get over it and accept her captivity over time.  Dusten Brown didn't want to see his daughter harmed any further by the media coverage or the potential harm that may come from another abrupt transition from their home back to his (and what if they fought and won again, forcing him to hand her back?).  Given the laws in the state of South Carolina when it comes to adoption, he had a solid case to challenge the legalities of it and could have won, but knowing the greedy and entitled kidnapping Capobiancos, they would have tied it up in appeals again for another several years before being forced to return her to him.  The last thing he wanted was to hurt her and continuing to fight kept her in the spotlight and risked her being yo-yo'd between the two states for years to come.

Some people claim he was a coward for finally backing down.  I can even admit some anger at him when he had announced that he was no longer going to fight, citing her well being as his reasons.  But when you really think about it, think about how the Capobiancos put the child on public blast and how Brown kept her away from all the chaos, it showed who truly had the child's best interest at heart.  It showed who cared more for her well being.  It sure as hell wasn't the kidnapping Capobiancos.

In the near 3 yrs since her official transition to her kidnappers' custody, little has been seen of Little Star or her captors.  A few pictures were located which show a considerably heavier Veronica Brown, the spark gone from her eyes and the smile often forced.  A year into her captivity, word was coming in that she still asked to go home and still refused to call her kidnappers Mom and Dad.  Two and a half years into her captivity, a blurry picture of her showed a child with unkempt hair, concerning weight gain and a very displeased look.  It makes me wonder if they are still utilizing Deena McMahon's Cookie Therapy Transition Plan.

Bits and pieces of her life with her captors have come through various sources.  Melanie Duncan Capobianco allegedly has admitted to friends that they were wrong in taking Veronica but will not have her returned because then it means they're admitting publicly that they were wrong.  Matt Capobianco feels Ronnie just needs to suck it up and get over it.  It is also our understanding that she still has Skype visits with her Dad, refusing their demands that she call him by name.  As for whether or not there have been actual face to face visits, I do not know.  During a conference regarding the new regulations put forth by Bureau of Indian Affairs, Brown confirmed he still has some level of contact, but never clarified what kind.

One does have to wonder what their home life is like seeing that the 
reality of dragging Veronica back to their home by force didn't jive with the fantasy they'd promoted.  Ronnie wasn't the grateful and compliant little adoptee they supposedly "saved" who came running back to them with open arms, she was a preschool aged child who knew who her family was and made it clear that they were not it.  Given the information that was leaked as well as the few photos that have surfaced, it's plainly obvious that reality is rearing its ugly head and smashing their fantasies to the ground.

All I have are my assumptions and what little information that gets leaked.  While I believe whole heartedly that Veronica is still fighting back against them stripping it all away from her, I also acknowledge that she probably has adapted somewhat to her new life.  She has no choice in the matter and no voice.  All she can do is accept it for now and wait until she is old enough to fight back.  The Capobianco supporters like to claim she is adjusting well and happy.  I believe she's adjusted as well as one can when they've been kidnapped from their family and still a legal hostage for another eleven years, but happy?  Brief moments here and there, sure, but overall?  Unlikely.  And, unbeknownst to her, there is still that million dollar lawsuit hanging over everyone's head - hers included.  The lawsuit that ensure they own her completely.  Will this lawsuit come into play the moment she attempts to speak out?  I know only time will tell, but if they do in fact put the lawsuit into play when she finally speaks out, it will only prove to the public what many of us have said since this mess started - the Capobiancos never gave a shit about Veronica.  It was all about winning.

The kidnappers celebrate this summer as a victory in their successful quest to steal a child, but the reality is that it's the anniversary of the summer a little girl lost all that was dear to her in the name of modern adoption.

10 comments:

  1. It's not just vacations Ronnie won't have now. She also probably won't be allowed to go to school, since then people would see how unhappy she is with them. She probably has very little, if any, friends her own age. Everything a child absolutely needs she does not get just because of their egos.

    If all that counts for Melanie is her reputation, then heck, why does she not find a suitable excuse? I'm sure quite a few people would see her as less of a she-demon if she'd focus on Ronnie's wellbeing for ONCE and just let her return home. Heck, they could just make it a back-adoption by Dusten and Robin and still uphold their "ideal" of adoption.

    Matt Capobianco bothers me the most. If he really doesn't give any fuck about Veronica's wish to go home to her real daddy, then I am officially torn between seeing him as just a plain psychopath or an obsessed paedophile.
    Truly, Matt and Mel belong in a psych ward.

    I just hope that she makes their "celebration" hell for them. If I hear that either or both of them had a heart attack or a stroke, I will cheer.

    Is that lawsuit still in existence? One hears so little about it. Frankly, as soon as they filed that, CPS should have removed Veronica from their "care".

    I am so sad for Veronica that she probably will feel angry at her dad for not fighting on, even though he did it to protect her. But more than that, I am disgusted by how a bunch of creepy old white people were able to completely destroy a child's life and set her up for all kinds of mental, and obviously also physical, health issues, and no one even bat an eye at their violations of her human rights, her wellbeing, her safety, her happiness and her life.

    Every day she spends with them is a gamble. They have shown how much they hate her and how far they will go to hurt her. I'm really not questioning anymore how my first question when I dug into this case was "Is this child even still alive?".

    So, yes, I really hope that they are not celebrating this year. Or any year. I hope they are suffering every single day like Ronnie is suffering. I hope they feel her pain a thousandfold.
    They deserve no peace, no happiness and no consideration. They deserve to suffer for the rest of their pathetic lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as far as late spring, we know she's alive. But looking unkempt and clearly bordering on overweight. So far, 3 pictures have surfaced since their big public "reunion" back in Sept 2013. One shows her with a baby and looking unhappy. Next was taken about a year after her kidnapping and you see the weight gain and the spark is gone from her eyes. The last one, taken this year, shows her even more unkempt, clearly overweight and still looking pissed off.

      From what I understand, they keep her isolated within their own circle because they know showing her in full public will reveal how much they've screwed her up. It angers me that Melanie can acknowledge the damage they're causing her and yet she cannot do the right thing out of pride. As for Matt....I have no words. His utter disregard for his so called "legal daughter" (let me vomit please) just shows that they were only out to win. They're both psychopaths, in my opinion.

      And when that lawsuit became public and it showed that Veronica herself was listed with her daddy and the Cherokee Nation, damned straight CPS should have stepped the fuck in and took her away. Hell, the state should have reversed the adoption and sent her back to Oklahoma.

      I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how South Carolina violated its own adoption laws. If Dusten and the CN had challenged the adoption, they prob would have won, even though it would have been another several years, I'm sure. I understand why he backed down. It was clear the kidnappers were in it to win and wouldn't have stopped, no matter how much she was yo-yo'd between the two states. Dusten didn't want that for her. It showed who the real parent and better man was, right then and there.

      Delete
    2. I have seen two photos since then, the one with the baby that I think you or someone else provided, another with her at a table and I think that photo was used in the "You can't deny DNA" meme with her and her father, but not a third one. I suppose that's a more recent one than the second?

      Precisely the fact that they are isolating her is what is even more fucked up about this. She might as well have been kidnapped by a total stranger who didn't call it an "adoption" and be forced to live in a basement, because there's no difference to it: She doesn't get to experience school life, making friends - all the things a child NEEDS, and that would surely help her in that she could find friends with whom to be sort-of happy.

      But no, they are not both psychopaths. If Melanie can admit that she was wrong, I don't think she could qualify as a psychopath. Matt, on the other hand... really, I worry for Veronica's safety as long as he is around her.

      What I hope for is that when Ronnie is older, she can challenge the adoption herself and have it voided. I mean, it's illegal in pretty much every single way it can be. And I'd say she'd have grounds to sue the state of South Carolina and the state of Oklahoma for allowing the "adoption" to happen and for not stepping in when that lawsuit was filed.
      And she should get every single thing the Capobiancos own and they should be shipped off to prison.

      I won't deny that I feel some anger at Dusten for not fighting on. But I get that in the situation he was in at the time, it likely seemed like the only choice to allow Veronica what he assumed would be something like a normal childhood.
      I just hope that the monsters won't have driven a wedge between Ronnie and Dusten by forcing him to have to make that choice for her.

      Truly, I admire him. If I was in his situation, I probably would have killed the Capobiancos with my bare hands at some point.

      (Btw, is there any way to privately message you somewhere? I'd like to ask a couple questions I'd rather not post publicly. If it's okay with you.)

      Delete
    3. Most of the info I get is thru grapevine. I have no real direct ear to the comings and goings. You can email me at murdocsmistress@gmail.

      Delete
  2. They adopted another little girl they named Stella. I saw Mel's Mother had died and the obit lists 2 grandchildren: Veronica and Stella. I hope to God the 2 girls cling to one another for comfort because they won't find it in that selfish home. My own daughter was 45 yesterday and I spent 2 restless nights. We have limited contact because her adoptive mother objected to our reunion. 45 years of hell. I wish I had jumped off that bridge that I stood on a week after her birth contemplating my worth. It never gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Stella is their do-over adoptee since no doubt Veronica isn't worshiping the ground they walk on.

      Delete
    2. And I am so very sorry that your daughter's adopter pushes a wedge between your daughter and the love of her family. Such insecurity astounds me.

      Delete
  3. Also I live with the guilt that my daughter has been in therapy off and on for 45 fucking years. Adoption is damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica's story angers yet saddens me so much. I was pregnant when I first heard about it. I always wonder how she's doing & how those monsters can live with themselves knowing they stole someone else's child. It doesn't matter if you enlist to fight for this country or not, the system will still screw you over

    ReplyDelete
  5. Either they return Veronica themselves or once she's old enough to do so she'll return to her dad on her own. They should do what's right to give her back her happy childhood. I remember seeing pictures of her with her biological family. She was just glowing. The new pictures you mentioned, where did you find them? I can't find any updates on her anywhere

    ReplyDelete